Sunday, December 20, 2009

Britain + Christmas = Lunacy

Picture Munich on December 23rd. The Germans know what snow is about. They know that if it snows you put chains on your tyres and drive normally, you won't crash and die. They know that the shops close for a single day, and that it makes no difference to their lives. They know to do their Christmas shopping before the last weekend when the shops generally have sod all inside them.
Now picture London. None of the above applies because us Brits are not quite as sensible as the Germans.

What makes me say this? Well today I decided to venture to Tesco today to pick up a few bits and pieces. Holy hell was that a mistake. Not only did it take me 15 minutes to get into the Tesco complex, but then I should've really attached ice skates to the wheels of my car to deal with the car park. Somehow I managed to pirouette the car into a space and walked inside Tesco.

You know the scenes in Africa when a UN truck draws up with food and drink etc. whereby thousands of hands grab at whatever they can get? Tesco looked like this. It was absolute chaos. The humble shopping trolley turned into a fairground bumper car. The PA system kept telling everyone in the most patronising voice possible that 'Tesco would be closed on Christmas Day'.

And didn't the shoppers just know it.

From the way people were throwing stuff in their trolley with such delirious abandonment, you'd have thought they were stocking up to survive some kind of Nuclear War. It was absolutely mental. And what with the snow, people could have been snowed in (you can't tell but I'm writing this in a slightly sarcastic tone, just a small heads up) and wouldn't have been able to go to the shops for TWO DAYS. As my slightly mentally retarded friend from Uni would say: 'Ludicrous'


Oh and a quick mention about the Mark Hughes sacking, I thought it was probably the right move. When you spend £200m and can't win, your head's on the line. And did anyone else think the phrase '"Sheikh Mansour and the board felt that there..."' sounds a bit 'Bond-villain' like. Maybe it's just me, but I can just imagine Mark Hughes falling through a trap door into a shark tank rather than leaving the City of Manchester Stadium.
I love my imagination sometimes...

1 comment:

  1. You always have to knock Africa in some way.

    ReplyDelete