Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Joys of Journalism


A week and a bit has passed since I officially started my journalism course and it's not quite what I expected. When they said you'd have a lot of reading, I imagined picking up the day's papers and skimming through the leader columns and all that jazz. But did I think I'd be back and forth to the library like a pensioner taking out books and slowly accumulating a shelf full of what can only best be described as history textbooks? No I certainly did not. After every History of Journalism lecture where a new book is added to the list of things unlikely to get read by yours truly, a small race breaks out to get one of the twenty copies of a book. Who'd have thought history textbooks and the Dewey system could be so much fun?

The lecturers have given us all a new toy too (I know what you're thinking when the word 'toy' is used so lets not even go there). They've entrusted us all with £300 microphones which instead of being used to record the voices of the general public in interviews (well they were initially) are now being used to record jamming sessions with me and 3 other guys on guitar. Multi-talented journalists? I think so. Andrew Marr has far too few skills. Who knows? Maybe I'll be required to strum a few chords if I ever get onto Newsnight. That's me see. Always thinking ahead. Over and out xD

No comments:

Post a Comment